At first glance, raccoons are pretty cute, with their pointed noses covered by a black mask of fur that circles their eyes. Like many other undomesticated wildlife, they can be unpredictable and lash out once they feel threatened. That attitude doesn't prevent them from wandering streets and neighborhoods in search of prey and other sources of food. If you're searching for pest control in Austin for raccoon prevention and control, Roberts Termite & Pest Control has over 60 years of experience with wildlife removal in Austin.
Raccoons Just Love Having Us For Neighbors
Raccoons have a special ability that is key to their survival. They are excellent foragers thanks to their nimble finger-like paws. While they prefer staying close to streams and rivers to fish for crayfish, frogs, and other aquatic creatures, they also love to rummage through trash cans, compost bins, and gardens in search of food. It's safe to say that raccoons aren't picky eaters. Once on land, they'll search out mice, insects, and raid nests for eggs. These pests are nocturnal, and finding a feast every night is no big feat for a raccoon. Unfortunately, they won't stop once they've started.
Even If They're Cute, Raccoons Can Be Problematic
No matter how cute these masked, bandit-like creatures look, they are a huge nuisance to your home, lawn, and garden. Once a raccoon has made their way into your home, there are a couple of usual spots you'll be able to detect signs of wildlife activity, such as:
- Crawl spaces
- Abandoned vehicles
Since raccoons in Austin are unpredictable and tend to move from den to den every few days, you might hope they have moved on. However, they could come back – especially during colder seasons or when reproducing. A raccoon that has chosen to nest inside your walls will strive to make as much room as possible by chewing through beams, walls, ceilings, pipes, and wires.
What You Can Do To Deter Raccoons Around Your Property
Ensure your home is up to a high standard to deter pesky creatures away from your home. Raccoon pest control is not very different from other pest prevention methods, but we discovered the following steps as the surest means to keep Austin wildlife out of your home:
- Repair leaky outdoor water fixtures to prevent moisture build-up and maintain rain gutter and downspouts.
- Install chimney caps and repair patio/door screens that have come loose, torn, or developed holes. Fix any openings or holes in the roofline, at roof intersections, and in the foundation and exterior walls.
- Cut back overgrown bushes and shrubs and trim tree branches away from the exterior of your home to eliminate potential hiding places and remove entry to high access points.
- Make sure to secure trash cans and compost bins with tight-fitting lids.
- Remove all debris from your yard to eliminate potential nesting spots for wildlife creatures.
- Sweep up leftover dog or cat food from your home's exterior. Bird and squirrel feeders are also known to attract raccoons.
If these preventative measures aren't enough and you have a raccoon problem on your property, it may be time to seek professional assistance.
The Best Raccoon Removal And Control For Your Property
Pest control for raccoons in your Austin home is difficult and potentially dangerous without the help of local wildlife experts. A threatened raccoon can act out in defense by biting and scratching. Not only do raccoons play host to fleas and ticks, but they also carry and spread diseases through their saliva, urine, and feces. At Roberts Termite & Pest Control we offer humane and effective pest control for raccoons near you. Call today to schedule your free estimate and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Austin.