Rodents are a very large group of critters that can cause serious damage to homes and out buildings. They are also known to spread disease such as:
- Bubonic plague
In fact, the list of disease spread by rodents is quite long. 
Back in 2011, it was estimated that just the population of Norway rat – Rattus norvegicus ranged to 175 million rats in the U.S. That’s just one species of rat and does not include other rodent populations. Rodent that are pests include:
Though the three largest pests are rats, mice, and squirrels. There are many rodents around the world that are kind of cool. The Capybara, which is the world’s largest rodent is one cool rodent, but thankfully, it does not invade Texas or homes in Texas. There are a few Capybara in Texas, but they are kept as pets. There are however, an invasive species of what appears to be 20-pound rats, but they are not rats, but mammals. The Nutria just look very much like rats. Not to worry, though as these big rodents eat aquatic vegetation. 
What to Do About Rodent Infestations?
There are DIY products that help, but they usually only address a percentage of the total rodent population around your home and property. Mouse traps and rat traps are two examples. You can put out poisons, but if the critter dies in your walls or sub flooring, you will have to live with the smell as it decomposes and that can also lead to health concerns.
The ideal way to handle rodent population is to control the rodents around your property. This means as a homeowner or a renter that you should:
- Reduce the available locations where rodents make home and nests.
- Remove food sources, even tiny amounts, so that rodents are not attracted to the food in your home.
- Inspect the outside of your home to identify places where rodents can get into your house. Check for large openings around pipes, holes in vent screenings, and access to the underside of your home.
- Remove pet food after you feed your pets. If there is left over food, rodents will thank you for it by moving into your home.
- Reduce the clutter in garages and sheds so that rats, mice, and squirrels do not have undisturbed places to set up home or have a litter of young.
Comprehensive rodent control is a partnership between homeowners and renters and a professional pest control company. We work with you to identify situations that invite rodents into your home and around your property. We offer responsible means to remove rodents and to help prevent re-infestation. If you have rodents in your home or around your property, give us a call. We provide comprehensive and affordable pest control services to the greater Austin area including: Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, Georgetown, Pflugerville, Lakeway, Buda, Kyle, San Marcos , Texas.
Do you need pest control? Don't wait. Call Robert's Pest Control now at (512) 444-0132.