TopChoice® Fire Ant Treatment
How TopChoice® Works
Controlling fire ants with TopChoice® from Bayer Environmental Science, TopChoice® is a granular insecticide that provides unsurpassed control of fire ants. Available only through lawn care or pest control professionals, TopChoice® offers several important advantages:
- Apply any time of year. TopChoice® works all year long. Fire ants are most active when the temperature is cool and when the ground is moist. In hot, dry weather, deeply embedded ants are not as apt to crawl over or through the insecticide granules. However, applications made to turf under these conditions will be "warehoused" until the ants begin to actively build mounds and forage on the surface. And irrigation or rainfall will bring ants to the surface where they will come into contact with the active ingredient.
- Long residual effect. TopChoice® kills existing colonies of fire ants and prevents new colonies from establishing for up to one year. After its initial release into the soil profile, TopChoice® binds tightly to the soil creating a lasting barrier, one that's not affected by heavy rainfall. Because it acts gradually, TopChoice® kills foraging workers, but not before they carry the insecticide back to the colony and spread it to the queens and other ants.
- Unique mode of action. Fipronil (the active ingredient in TopChoice® acts at the GABA receptors of insects, "switching off" nerve impulses and causing severe disruption of the insect's nervous system.
- Controls secondary pests. Besides providing effective control of fire ants for one year, TopChoice® also controls mole crickets for four months, nuisance ants for three months, and fleas and ticks for one month.
- High safety profile. TopChoice® is selectively toxic to insects, and optimum control is achieved with extremely low dose rates. Because of its selective effects, there are no concerns about family or pets when TopChoice® is applied by a professional.
See our Coupon for savings on this treatment.